Bricklayers build and repair walls, chimney stacks, tunnel linings and decorative stonework like archways.
Qualifications are City & Guilds Craft/Advanced Craft Certificate in Bricklaying or NVQ2 in Bricklaying/Trowel Occupations.
These Bricklayer qualifications are made up of theory and practical work in the classroom/training facility and work based experience with a working Bricklayer.
Colleges should help students find a work position, although many students organise it themselves.
Typical jobs range from a house extension to a large commercial development. They might also refurbish brickwork and masonry on restoration projects.
On larger jobs, your gang would work on a particular section of a building alongside other bricklaying gangs. You may also be able to specialise in stonemasonry work.
Typical duties include
- Measuring the work area and setting out the first rows (courses) and damp course.
- Mixing mortar by hand or with a mechanical mixer.
- Laying the bricks on top of each other and applying the mortar with a trowel.
- Shaping and trimming bricks using hammers, chisels and power tools.
- Checking courses are straight using water or laser spirit-levels or plumb lines.
- Good practical skills.
- The ability to read plans.
- The ability to work methodically and accurately.
- An awareness of safety issues, especially when working at heights and carrying loads.
- The ability to work as part of a team and with other trades people.
- A good level of fitness.
Some companies may encourage you to learn other trades such as plastering to expand your skills. With experience, you can progress to supervisory positions or move into related areas of work within a company, such as estimating and contract management.
Guideline figures for Bricklaying salaries
A bricklaying labourer can earn up to £15,000 a year. Qualified bricklayers can earn between £16,000 and £23,000 a year. Experienced bricklayers, including instructors, can earn up to £30,000 a year.
How to apply
To be considered for all employment and training opportunities on site you must complete our Employment and Training Registration Form.
For further details please contact:
Kate Candler, Willmott Dixon Housing on: 01462 814455